Saturday, August 19, 2006

Muffin Top


Just have to share. I was driving home from a meeting this morning and saw a jogger. This was in a more affluent part of town, not that that has anything to do with it. Anyhoo, she had on the sports bra and tight stylish name-brand running shorts and she was sporting.....the muffin top. After seeing this, I couldn't stop thinking about the muffin top. So I got on wikipedia and searched. This is what I found:

Muffin Tops is slang for people who wear both tight fitting low-rise jeans/pants, and midriff-baring tops. In many people, the resulting spillage of skin is said to resemble a muffin top.
The appearance of muffin tops has increased dramatically in recent years due to the popularization of stretch-pants, as well as low-rise jeans. Jeans are usually considered a slimming article of clothing, but when improperly sized give the illusion of being fat.
On an episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Stacy London (host of TLC's What Not to Wear) noted the muffin top as the number one jean-related fashion crime. Oprah called it "Dunlap syndrome" because "That's when your stomach done lap over your jeans".
In an attempt to avoid the Muffin Top, and to appease the gradual shift away from low-rise, manufacturers have introduced mid-rise jeans which come up higher on the waist and eliminate the Muffin Top. Mid-Rise has proved popular across North America and manufacturers have also introduced fresh styles of High-Rise jeans.

I also found a story in the NY daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/330221p-281994c.html

Am I fascinated by the muffin top? Maybe, but more in a Seinfeld kind of way, "it's hideous, but I just can't look away". And I'm not ripping on the muffin top, I'm far from being buff like mr. universe...it just fascinates me that this is now some kind of fashion trend. So there you have it, my muffin top story. Maybe I should start a Muffin Top Monday posting.

I would so love it if y'all would share your muffin top stories, it would make me feel so much better.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pud said...

You have a camera on your phone, take pictures of these muffin tops and post them.

8/21/2006 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home