Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Family

I was once told by a wise person "Family is always the first to screw you", and it's pretty much true. My grandmother has cancer, she's going to die. And for some reason I can't bring myself to be stricken with grief. Maybe it's because growing up, my entire life, she and my gandfather treated my family like second class, while my father's little brother and his family were so grand and could do no wrong. I was just related a story today from my brother: My mother and father were visiting the nursing home where my gandmother is. Two of my aunt's, my cousin and her boyfriend were also there. They visited for a while, then out of nowhere my grandmother asked my parents if they would be offended if she asked them to leave. Ironic, but it didn't strike me as odd when I heard this. I guess because that is how my father has been treated his whole life. My father's sisters called and appologized later, each one of them. Also ironic, because that is the most they have ever called him(except to relay plans on family dinners). I am to the point where I don't want to go to the funeral, I don't want to go to any family gatherings. Mostly for the fact that I know I won't be able to control what I will have to say. I was raised and taught that you don't speak up, don't rock the boat. But I have learned that you get stepped on when you act that way. I will not be stepped on and downtrodden like I'm worthless. Unfortunately my father knows no better, and will let people walk all over him for the rest of his life. I feel bad for my dad, because he is a great person and deserves much better, especially from his family. But alas, Family is always the first to screw you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Pud said...

Just do what your heart tells you.

11/08/2006 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home