Thursday, August 31, 2006

It Ain't Every Day...

...that your flight instructor makes the first story on the nightly news. Yup, my flight instructor made the news...he was on a training flight with a student when the aircraft they were flying lost power and they had to make an emergency landing. And that landing was in a bean field....a wet, soggy bean field which caused the plane to flip on its top. Both the student and instructor were fine. I remember when I was training about all the emergency procedures we practiced. I am pretty confident that if the situation would arise, I would be able to put my plane down safely. It's a sobering thing when something like this happens to someone in the pilot community that you are a part of...at least for me it is.











A view from the air of how the plane came to rest.











A view from the ground, you can see the front nose wheel bent back toward the main gear. When landing on soft ground conditions and the nosewheel digs into the earth, it wants to flip the plane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home