Monday, February 19, 2007

A Week

You gotta love Indiana weather. We're having a heat wave here...it got up to 40 degrees today...WooHoo! The snow is melting fast, and to think a week ago we had blizzard conditions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out and play too much in the snow. I spent about an hour last Thursday clearing snow out of my drive, and of course a county snowplow would come along as I was in the middle of it. And then I had to get my trailer cleared out...that took about three hours...so I could get back to work.

In the past, whenever we got snow I would be out on the snowmobile having fun...but not this time. Growing up, my grandpa had a snowmobile shop and we were always on snowmobiles. My parents have a classic Polaris TX440. I have had so much fun on that thing. It doesn't compare to today's sleds, but it is awesome. I rebuilt the track a few years ago, what a difference. I used to be able to get it up to 55mph and the track would start skipping. After I rebuilt it, it would scream! I grew up on a major highway, to the south there was a big field, bout 1/4 mile long, and I would start at one end and try to outrace the cars on the highway. After I rebuilt the track...no problem. I would get her up to about 70mph and then back off(the braking system hasn't been rebuilt, which means no brakes!

So I was snowed in for two days, which set my schedule back three days. I went to a jobsite on Friday...easy job. I got there(some townhomes) and the street was a mess. I had to take my jobsite trailer and found out there was no place to park. A crew was working on some new structures across the street. So I thought I would talk to the supervisor and see if I could park in the open lot across from the TH I was working in. No Hablo Ingles! So I wound up parking on the sidewalk in front of the TH and the one next to it. Oh! That was after I spent 45 minutes waiting for a lumber delivery truck to offload it's cargo. It amazes me, nobody on the jobsite spoke fluent english. Makes me wonder how well these houses are built.

So I'm looking forward to some warm weather. Hopefully in a month it will be warm enough I can do some fly fishing down in Tennessee. We'll see.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

They know, "I.N.S." & will react quickly if you yell it.

2/21/2007 1:35 AM  
Blogger FlyBoy said...

Yeah Rat, I thought about that. Maybe I'll try it the next time I'm on a jobsite full of beaners.

2/21/2007 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt that way about wave runners. Never been on a snow mobile. Not a big fan of snow. I lived in Tahoe for a year...

2/21/2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger FlyBoy said...

jmeped- I've been on waverunners a couple times, they're a blast! And it's so much warmer.

2/21/2007 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home